How do I use the 3ds Max Bridge?
- Open your character in Daz Studio.
- Locate and open the Daz to 3ds Max Bridge, which can be found at the top of Studio under Scripts>Bridges>Daz to 3ds Max.
- Click on ‘Daz to 3ds Max’ in the above path to run the script.
- In 3ds Max, click ‘x’ on the keyboard and type ‘DaztoMax’ when the search icon appears; then choose ‘Auto-Import.’
- That’s it!
What versions of 3ds Max does the Daz to 3ds Max Bridge work with?
- The Daz to 3ds Max Bridge works with 3ds Max versions 2016- 2020. Supported render engines are Vray, and the Max Bridge is compatible with Physical/Arnold.
What is a Bridge?
- A Bridge is a cross-platform port that converts 3D Assets — in this case, amazing Daz content — and brings it to another software, complete with rigging, textures, and other Studio modifications.
What content works in the 3ds Max Bridge?
- Genesis 8 & 3 Content works with the 3ds Max Bridge.
What Items/Daz product features will not transfer over to 3ds Max using the bridge?
- Strand-based hair will have difficulty transferring.
- Poses should not be transferred, as they will break the rigging.
- Michael and Victoria 4 Content and Genesis 1 Content are not guaranteed to transfer to 3ds Max using the bridge. Some Genesis 2 Content may transfer, but success of transfer (including rigging, textures, etc.) will vary item to item.
I just want to import directly into 3ds Max, do I have to use the bridge?
- The bridge isn’t the only way you can use Daz content in 3ds Max — your other option is to purchase Daz items that have 3ds Max file formats, download the manual files and upload them directly into 3ds Max. Select items in the store also include .obj files, which can be either be added directly or converted for use in your software of choice. Otherwise, you can export certain content out of Studio as .obj or .fbx files for use in third party software.
Should I pose/add textures in Studio, or in 3ds Max?
- Posing is advised in 3ds Max — poses in Studio will transfer successfully to Max, but may break the rigging. For Textures, it’s up to you and your preference. You can add textures in Studio before transfer, or continue to pose and texture your character in 3ds Max after the transfer.
Can I add features to my model in 3ds Max that I already have/prefer to Studio, even if the 3D Model is in Studio?
- This is a one-way transfer from Daz to 3ds Max. So once you transfer your content from Studio to 3ds Max, you can’t transfer it back; you can, however, make changes to content in Daz Studio before you transfer, and can always readjust in Studio and transfer again.
I already have some assets for 3ds Max. How can I combine the assets I have in 3ds Max with those I have in Daz?
- Daz products have to be transferred using the 3ds Max Bridge. Once in 3ds Max, you can combine any assets you already have with your Daz products.
- To learn how to transfer assets, please see the FAQ - “How do I use the 3ds Max Bridge”.
Is there a way to create a custom library of all my Daz/3ds Max assets?
- In Daz Central you can see all compatible assets for this bridge, you are also able to use the software filter in the store to see all available assets for the Daz to 3ds Max bridge.