There are a number of reasons why your credit card may be declined. Listed below are a few possible reasons:
- The billing address or name on your account does not match the information your credit card company or bank has on file.
- The credit card number, type or expiration date are incorrect.
- There may be a limit on how much you can charge to your card at one time, or during a certain time period.
- You may have reached your credit limit, or the order amount would push you over your limit.
- Credit card companies and banks place a hold on the transaction amount every time you try to process a charge on your card, whether the charge actually goes through or not. If there are declined payment transaction on your card it may take a few business days for that hold to drop off of your account.
These are just a few examples of why a credit card may be declined and in no way encompasses all possible reasons. If your credit card has been declined you will need to contact your bank or credit card company for the exact reason why.